Custard filled Shredded Phyllo (Osmallieh)
- ½ package shredded phyllo dough (katayfi)
- 1 stick of butter melted
- 3 cups Ashta custard or any custard of your choice
- Toppings toasted coconut, ground pistachio, fruit, cinnamon sugar, toasted nuts
- DedeMed Simple Syrup recipe
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. You want to prepare the ashta custard filling a day in advance in order for it to thicken and become completely cooled.
- To start off you need to loop a section of kataifi dough around 2 fingers (as instructed in the video) then place them in the mini muffin tin. Let the dough sit out to dry for about 30 minutes. Then place a small dab of butter in each mini tin, then bake for 15-20 minutes or until dark golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing them from the pan. Set the shells on a nice serving plate and fill with ashta custard. Top each one with any topping of your choice and serve with simple syrup drizzled on top.
- For Ashta custard pour whole milk, fat free milk, heavy cream, sugar and cornstarch in a medium size pot and stir. Cut white bread into pieces and add to pot and stir. Mix until custard begins to thicken, add rose and orange water and stir until custard is very thick. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Set on counter top and let cool, stir every 15 minutes and after an hour cover with saran wrap and place in the refrigerator to cool completely.
- This is a beautiful dessert that can be made to look like a birds nest or it can be layered in a pan. It is simple and easy and can be prepped ahead of time. You can be creative and garnish with any nuts or fruit of your choice.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 356 Fat: 22g Saturated fat: 12g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 28g Sugar: 3g Sodium: 128mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 52mg