Lentils and Bulgur Wheat Pilaf (Mujaddara Hamra)
This lentil pilaf contains onions, onions, and more onions. But the flavor isn't like you imagine-it's actually sweet because the onions are slowly cooked to caramelize them. The lentils and bulgur soak up all the flavor and add a hint of earthiness.
Recipe type: Great Grain, Rice, and Bean Dishes
Serves: 6 cups
- [1/2] cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups green or brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 1 TB. cumin
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup bulgur wheat, grind #2
- 3 cups pearl onions, peeled
- In a large, 3-quart pot over medium-low heat, heat [1/4] cup extra-virgin olive oil. Add yellow onions and 1 teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring intermittently, for 20 minutes or until onions are dark brown but not burned.
- Add green lentils, water, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and cumin, and cook, stirring intermittently, for 40 minutes.
- Stir in black pepper and bulgur wheat, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, uncover, fluff with a fork, cover, and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat remaining [1/4] cup extra-virgin olive oil. Add pearl onions, and cook, stirring intermittently, for 15 minutes.
- To serve, spoon a few spoonfuls of lentil pilaf onto a plate and top with pearl onions.
Serving size: 1 cups Calories: 331 Fat: 19g Saturated fat: 3g Carbohydrates: 35g Sodium: 785mg Fiber: 9g Protein: 9g Cholesterol: 0mg