This is a Mediterranean version of the traditional cheesecake recipe, with a toasted, shredded phyllo crust and a slightly sweet cream cheese filling.
Recipe type: Crave-Worthy Cakes
Serves: 12 individual cheesecakes
- 4 cups shredded phyllo dough (kataifi dough)
- [1/2] cup butter, melted
- 12 oz. cream cheese
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- [3/4] cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 TB. vanilla extract
- 2 TB. orange blossom water
- 1 TB. orange zest
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 450Ãƒâ€šÃ‚ÂºF.
- In a large bowl, and using your hands, combine shredded phyllo and melted butter, working the two together and breaking up phyllo shreds as you work.
- Using a 12-cup muffin tin, add [1/3] cup shredded phyllo mixture to each tin, and press down to form crust on the bottom of the cup. Bake crusts for 8 minutes, remove from the oven, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, and using an electric mixer on low speed, blend cream cheese and Greek yogurt for 1 minute.
- Add confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract, orange blossom water, and orange zest, and blend 1 minute.
- Add eggs, and blend for about 30 seconds or just until eggs are incorporated.
- Lightly coat the sides of each muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Pour about [1/3] cup cream cheese mixture into over crust in each tin. Do not overflow.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Spread shredded coconut on a baking sheet, and place in the oven with cheesecakes to toast for 4 or 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven, and set aside.
- Remove cheesecakes from the oven, and cool for 1 hour on the countertop.
- Place the tin in the refrigerator, and cool for 1 more hour.
- To serve, dip a sharp knife in warm water and then run it along the sides of cheesecakes to loosen from the tin. Gently remove cheesecakes and place on a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut flakes, and serve.
Serving size: 1 cheesecake Calories: 431 Saturated fat: 14g Carbohydrates: 48g Sodium: 556mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 9g Cholesterol: 82mg