Lentil and Swiss Chard Sou
My mom would make this soup as an alternative to chicken soup when I was sick because she said "It has so much vitamins." She was right! This soup has a very light taste, the Swiss chard and lemon flavors are refreshing, and the lentils fill you up.
Recipe type: Super Soups
Serves: 12 cups
- 12 cups water
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1[1/2] cup brown or green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 6 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 lb. Swiss chard (about 2 bunches), washed and chopped
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 4 TB. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- [1/2] tsp. ground black pepper
- [1/4] cup fresh lemon juice
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine water, 1 teaspoon salt, and brown lentils. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon salt, garlic, Swiss chard, and half of onions; stir; and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small pan over medium heat, heat extra-virgin olive oil. Add remaining yellow onions, and saute for 5 minutes. Add onions to the large pot.
- Add potato, black pepper, and lemon juice to the pot, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Serving size: 2 cups Calories: 241 Fat: 10g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 33g Sodium: 1,043mg Fiber: 7g Protein: 9g Cholesterol: 0mg