Here, the smoky flavor of eggplant combines with fresh vegetables and olive oil. The result is light and refreshing.
Recipe type: Delightful Dips and Spreads
Serves: 3 cups
- 2 large eggplants
- 4 TB. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 TB. minced garlic
- 3 TB. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- [1/2] tsp. ground black pepper
- [1/2] medium red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, and finely diced
- [1/2] medium green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, and finely diced
- 3 TB. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- [1/2] tsp. cayenne
- 3 medium radishes, finely diced
- 3 whole green onions, finely chopped
- Preheat a grill top or a grill to medium-low heat.
- Place eggplants on the grill, and roast on all sides for 40 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. Immediately place eggplants on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, let cool for 15 minutes.
- Remove eggplant stems, and peel off as much skin as possible. (It's okay if it doesn't all come off.)
- In a food processor fitted with a chopping blade, pulse eggplant 7 times. Transfer eggplant to a medium bowl.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, heat 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Add white onion, and saute, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add onions to eggplant.
- Add garlic, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and parsley to eggplant, and stir well.
- Spread baba ganoush on a serving plate, and drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil over top. Sprinkle with cayenne, radishes, and green onions.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
Serving size: 2 tablespoons Calories: 36 Fat: 2g Saturated fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 4g Sodium: 99mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg