Sweet Cheese Rolls (Halawet el Jibn)
Sweet cheese is a combination of melted mozzarella cheese with semolina, forming a sweet cheese (hence the name) that's served with a creamy custard.
Servings: 12 rolls
- [1/3] cup butter
- [1/2] cup semolina
- [1/2] cup farina
- 2[1/2] cups Simple Syrup (recipe later in this chapter)
- 1 lb. fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 cups Ashta Custard (recipe earlier in this chapter)
- 2 TB. pistachios, ground
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook butter, semolina, and farina for 3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup Simple Syrup to the pot, stir, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add mozzarella to the pot, and cook, stirring vigorously, for about 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Pour [1/2] cup Simple Syrup onto a baking sheet and spread out to coat all sides. Pour cheese mixture onto the baking sheet, and using the back of a wooden spoon, spread out to the size of the baking sheet. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Run a knife down the baking sheet lengthwise, making two cuts in the sheet and forming three columns. Then make three more cuts widthwise, so you have 12 equal-size pieces.
- Place 3 tablespoons Ashta Custard at one end of each piece, roll, place seam side down on a plate.
- To serve, sprinkle each piece with ground pistachios and a drizzle of Simple Syrup.
Serving size: 1 roll Calories: 345 Fat: 15g Saturated fat: 8.5g Carbohydrates: 40g Sodium: 267mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 12g Cholesterol: 40mg
Recipe by Dedemed at https://dedemed.com/mediterranean/halawet-el-jibn-recipe/