Kibbeh with Yogurt
In this dish, full of fiber and protein, ground beef is combined with earthy bulgur wheat and spices and cooked in a warm yogurt sauce.
Servings: 12 kibbeh
- [1/2] cup bulgur wheat, grind #1
- 4 cups water
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- 1 lb. lean ground chuck beef
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- [1/2] tsp. ground allspice
- [1/2] tsp. ground coriander
- [1/2] tsp. ground cumin
- [1/2] tsp. ground nutmeg
- [1/2] tsp. ground cloves
- [1/2] tsp. ground cinnamon
- [1/2] tsp. dried sage
- [1/4] cup long-grain rice
- [1/2] lb. ground beef
- 3 TB. extra-virgin olive oil
- [1/2] cup pine nuts
- 1 tsp. seven spices
- 4 cups Greek yogurt
- 2 TB. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. dried mint
- In a small bowl, soak bulgur wheat in 1 cup water for 30 minutes.
- In a food processor fitted with a chopping blade, blend [1/2] of yellow onion and basil for 30 seconds. Add bulgur, and blend for 30 more seconds.
- Add ground chuck, 1[1/2] teaspoons salt, black pepper, allspice, coriander, cumin, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, and sage, and blend for 1 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl, and knead for 3 minutes.
- In a large pot, combine long-grain rice and remaining 3 cups water, and cook for 30 minutes.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown beef for 5 minutes, breaking up chunks with a wooden spoon.
- Add remaining [1/2] of yellow onion, extra-virgin olive oil, remaining [1/2] teaspoon salt, pine nuts, and seven spices, and cook for 7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk Greek yogurt into cooked rice, add garlic and mint, reduce heat to low, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Form meat-bulgur mixture into 12 equal-size balls. Create a groove in center of each ball, fill with beef and onion mixture, and seal groove.
- Carefully drop balls into yogurt sauce, and cook for 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Serving size: 1 kibbeh Calories: 236 Fat: 14g Saturated fat: 3g Carbohydrates: 8g Sodium: 451mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 19g Cholesterol: 37mg
Recipe by Dedemed at https://dedemed.com/mediterranean/kibbeh-with-yogurt/