Shredded Phyllo and Sweet Cheese Pie (Knafe)
This dessert combines crunchy shredded phyllo with a sweet cheese filling, all accented with a simple syrup.
Servings: 1 (9-inch-round) pie
- 1 lb. pkg. shredded phyllo dough (kataifi dough)
- 1 cup butter, melted
- [1/2] cup whole milk
- 2 TB. semolina flour
- 1 lb. ricotta cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 TB. sugar
- 1 cup Simple Syrup
- In a food processor fitted with a chopping blade, pulse shredded phyllo and butter 10 times. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, warm whole milk.
- Stir in semolina flour, and cook for 1 minute.
- Rinse the food processor, and to it, add ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, sugar, and semolina mixture. Blend for 1 minute.
- Preheat the oven to 375Ãƒâ€šÃ‚ÂºF.
- In a 9-inch-round baking dish, add [1/2] of shredded phyllo mixture, and press down to compress. Add cheese mixture, and spread out evenly. Add rest of shredded phyllo mixture, spread evenly, and gently press down. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let pie rest for 10 minutes before serving with Simple Syrup drizzled over top.
Serving size: [1/8] pie Calories: 632 Fat: 37g Saturated fat: 22g Carbohydrates: 56g Sodium: 666mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 19g Cholesterol: 96mg
Recipe by DedeMed.com at https://dedemed.com/mediterranean/knafe-recipe-kanafeh/