Hot Sauce (Harissa)
Harissa is a spicy but flavorful hot sauce that combines dried chiles with a hint of garlic and olive tones from the extra-virgin olive oil.
Servings: 1 cup
- 20 dried red chili (cayenne) peppers
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 cloves garlic
- [1/2] tsp. salt
- [1/2] tsp. ground coriander seeds
- [1/2] tsp. caraway seeds
- [1/2] tsp. cumin
- [1/2] cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Place red chili peppers in a medium bowl, pour hot water over top, and set aside to soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain hot water, and remove stems and seeds from peppers. It's recommended that you wear latex gloves while doing this.
- In a food processor fitted with a chopping blade, blend red chili peppers, garlic, salt, coriander, caraway seeds, and cumin for 2 minutes.
- With the food processor still running, drizzle in extra-virgin olive oil, and blend for 30 more seconds.
- Store in a sealed glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Serving size: 1 teaspoon Each serving has: Calories: 21 Fat: 2g Saturated fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 0g Sodium: 25mg Fiber: 0g Protein: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg
Recipe by Dedemed at https://dedemed.com/mediterranean/harissa-hot-sauce/