Rosemary Olive Bread
This seasoned herb bread is light, flavorful, and very versatile. I love to make batches of it, freeze it, and bake some when I have the craving!
Servings: 10 pitas
- 1[1/2] TB. active dry yeast
- 1[1/2] cup warm water
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- [1/4] cup plus 3 TB. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 TB. fresh rosemary (roughly chopped)
- 10 kalamata olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine yeast, warm water, and sugar, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, [1/4] cup extra-virgin olive oil, rosemary, kalamata olives, black pepper, and 1 cup all-purpose flour, and stir to combine. Add another 1 cup all-purpose flour, and begin to knead dough. Add remaining 1 cup all-purpose flour, and knead for about 3 minutes or until dough comes together in a ball. If you're using an electric stand mixer, use the dough attachment to knead dough.
- Remove dough from the bowl, and grease the bowl with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Return dough to the bowl, and turn over to coat dough in oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a thick towel, and set aside to rise for 2 hours.
- Uncover the bowl, and gently pull dough together into a ball. Divide dough into 10 equal-size pieces, lightly dust with flour and cover with plastic wrap or a moist towel.
- Flour your rolling pin and work surface. Roll out each dough ball to [1/4] inch thick, and place on a baking sheet. Let rolled-out dough sit for 10 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat an iron or cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat, and brush lightly with extra-virgin olive oil. Add 1 rolled-out dough to the skillet, and cook for 2 or 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Flip over and cook for 2 more minutes. Transfer to a plate, and cover with a slightly damp towel. Brush the skillet with more extra-virgin olive oil before cooking next piece.
- Store in an airtight container, and serve with a good extra-virgin olive oil and olives.
Serving size: 1 pitas Calories: 254 Fat: 11g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 33g Sodium: 292mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 0mg
Recipe by Dedemed at https://dedemed.com/mediterranean/rosemary-olive-bread/