Smoky green wheat freekeh has a very earthy, robust flavor that's delicious when combined with fresh herbs, as in this dish.
Servings: 6 cups
- 3 TB. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
- 2 TB. minced garlic
- 1[1/2] tsp. salt
- 1 TB. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 cups freekeh wheat
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 TB. fresh thyme
- 2 TB. fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- In a large, 3-quart pot over medium heat, heat extra-virgin olive oil. Add white onion, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add crimini mushrooms, garlic, and salt, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add coriander, black pepper, paprika, and freekeh, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in vegetable broth, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Uncover, and stir in spinach, thyme, and Italian parsley. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, cover, and let stand for 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Serving size: 1 cups Calories: 395 Fat: 11g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 61g Sodium: 1,365mg Fiber: 14g Protein: 16g Cholesterol: 0mg
Recipe by Dedemed at https://dedemed.com/mediterranean/freekeh-pilaf/