Vegetarian Baked Spaghetti
This baked spaghetti combines tender noodles with bits of eggplant and a flavorful herb-seasoned sauce.
Servings: 10 cups
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, and finely chopped
- 2 TB. minced garlic
- 4 TB. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 (16-oz.) can plain tomato sauce
- 1 (16-oz.) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 3 TB. tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 2 TB. sugar
- 2[1/2] tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- [1/3] cup fresh basil, chopped
- 3 TB. fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- [1/2] tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- [1/2] tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large, 3-quart pot over medium heat, brown eggplant for 5 minutes.
- Stir in white onion, green bell pepper, garlic, and extra-virgin olive oil, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, water, sugar, 1[1/2] teaspoons salt, oregano, thyme, basil, Italian parsley, crushed red pepper flakes, and black pepper, and stir. Reduce heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat, and boil remaining 1 teaspoon salt and spaghetti for 8 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â°F.
- Drain spaghetti, pour into a large casserole dish, add pasta sauce, and toss to combine.
- Cover dish with a piece of aluminum foil, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove casserole dish from the oven, remove the foil, and sprinkle mozzarella cheese over spaghetti. Bake for 15 more minutes.
- Remove spaghetti from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 310 Fat: 9g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 48g Sodium: 965mg Fiber: 5g Protein: 11g Cholesterol: 6mg
Recipe by Dedemed at https://dedemed.com/mediterranean/vegetarian-baked-spaghetti/