Barley and Chicken Soup
Barley has many uses, one of which is to make a wonderful chicken soup. I like to use hulled barley rather than pearl barley because it has more nutrients and a nuttier flavor.
Servings: 10 cups
- 1 cup hulled barley
- 2 cups warm water
- 5 TB. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 (6- to 8-oz.) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into [1/2]-in. cubes
- 2 medium whole leeks, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 TB. fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- 10 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- [1/2] tsp. ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, soak hulled barley in warm water for 4 hours. Drain. (You can do this in advance.)
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Add chicken, and cook, turning chicken over to brown evenly, for 7 minutes. Remove chicken from the pot, and set aside.
- In the pot, heat remaining 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Add leeks, carrots, and thyme, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add drained barley, salt, and chicken broth to the pot, cover, and simmer over low heat for 40 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Add cooked chicken and black pepper, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Serving size: 2 cups Calories: 410 Fat: 16g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 37g Sodium: 1,646mg Fiber: 8g Protein: 30g Cholesterol: 45mg
Recipe by Dedemed at https://dedemed.com/mediterranean/barley-and-chicken-soup/