Chocolate Walnut Baklava
- 3 cups DedeMed's simple syrup
- 2 cups melted butter or melted sweet cream butter
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix the ground walnuts with sugar and cinnamon. Alternate 5-10 layers of phyllo dough with a layer of the walnut mixture and chocolate chips. Make sure to butter each layer of the phyllo dough while layering it. Repeat the phyllo/walnut/chocolate layer for a minimum of 3 layers and a maximum of 6 layers. When layering is complete, cut the baklava into the shapes that you want, typically diamond or square shape. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. When you remove the pan from the oven, immediately pour 1 to 2 cups of the syrup over the baklava and let sit for 1 hour in order to absorb the syrup, before serving. Store in an airtight container.
- This is a delightful twist on the traditional baklava. It brings the crunchy and sweet walnuts with the smoothness of chocolate. It's so easy to make and great with a nice cup of coffee. Make it in advance or the same day and enjoy it for days to come.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 299 Fat: 20g Saturated fat: 7g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 23g Sugar: 13g Sodium: 98mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 4g Cholesterol: 15mg
Recipe by Dedemed at https://dedemed.com/mediterranean/chocolate-walnut-baklava/