I love this salad because I know it's so healthy. The lentils make it very hearty and filling, so it can be served as a main course salad or as a side for grilled chicken or fish.
Servings: 6 cups
- 2 cups green or brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups water
- [1/4] medium white onion
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely diced
- 3 medium Persian cucumbers, finely diced
- [1/2] medium red onion, finely chopped
- [1/2] cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 TB. fresh mint
- [1/4] cup extra-virgin olive oil
- [1/4] cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried mint
- [1/2] tsp. cayenne
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine green lentils, bay leaf, water, and white onion. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain, remove onion and bay leaf, and set lentils aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, add cooked lentils, tomatoes, Persian cucumbers, red onion, flat-leaf parsley, and fresh mint.
- In a small bowl, whisk together extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt, dried mint, and cayenne.
- Pour dressing over lentil mix, and toss to coat evenly.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate to enjoy for 1 or 2 days.
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 188 Fat: 10g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 20g Sodium: 348mg Fiber: 5g Protein: 7g Cholesterol: 0mg
Recipe by Dedemed at https://dedemed.com/mediterranean/lentil-salad/